Sunday, October 21, 2007

Black History at its best




Today was a very interesting day for me, went to church and seen one of the family's friends shirley (magness) Cheeks, well she was in town with her husband Dr. Carl Cheeks a dentist in the Chicago area. His dad Garland, was born in 1920 moved away from here in 1938, went to the military, served his time and relocated to chicago afterwards to work at the post office. He gave me alot of history on Poplar Bluff and how his team was one of the first to go state in basketball. While he attended Wheatley School. His winning team photograph is at the Poplar Bluff museum located on Main Street. Mr. Cheeks now resides in California, and belive it or not, this fellow thats full of spunk!! told me that he frequently plays golf and also attends a spanish class two times a week! I hope when I become his age if the lord allows me to live to see it I hope that I can get around as well as he does and still be able to have peace of mind and a great spirit as he does!

No comments: